Monday, January 21, 2008

High School Musical



OK, today I kill many birds with one stone: the letter H and learn how to add in a video--not that I will do it often, but as the saying goes, I'll never learn (how) any younger!

They just announced that all of the stars from the first two High School Musical movies are signed on for a third--this is big news at my house! For the uninitiated, High School and High School Musical 2 are two Disney movies that have taken the pre-teen and teen set by storm. They are filled with cute kids and lots of singing and dancing.

I actually liked the first HSM--there was a great message. The whole story was about kids expanding themselves beyond their stereotypes and the expectations of their friends--and how to support a friend who goes beyond your image of them. The final song, "We're All in this Together," seemed like an anthem for inclusion, tolerance and all things good.

In the second movie the cute kids, singing and dancing were still very charismatic--the story, however, was not compelling to me at all. In fact, it was almost the opposite message of the first: if you step outside of your box you will compromise yourself and your friendships...

Further than this, while the cast of both movies was very ethnically diverse, I don't think there was a single person with a disability in either film... bummer.

If anyone wants to join me and challenge Disney to include people with disabilities in HSM 3 you can send your letter here:

Richard Cook, Chairman
The Walt Disney Studios
500 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521

No comments: