Saturday, January 16, 2010

Book Review: Seven Days at Oak Valley by Ruthie-Marie Beckwith


Well, my copy of Seven Days at Oak Valley arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon and I picked it up, thumbed through it and thought I would take a minute to read the first couple of pages.

It's a murder mystery set at an institution for people with developmental disabilities in 1978. And the main character--the one who figures everything out--has a cognitive disability. The author, Ruthie-Marie Beckwith is a long-time disability rights advocate.

Before I knew it I was on page 50 and there had already been 2 deaths (with hints of others), a couple of scandals and political tangles were afoot, we've seen glaring examples of institutional living and abuses of power, and we have met a handful of compelling characters.

Then I had to feed my family and drive people places...

I am resisting (with all my might) the urge to check the last page to make sure the characters I like make it through to the end.

I don't know how it is going to end, but it's pretty engaging so far!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for a nice intro! I hope you enjoy the rest of the story as much as you seem to have enjoyed the first part.

Terri said...

Well, Thank you! I am enjoying your book very much.