Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Introducing Embry Burrus, Author of Mama and Margaret



Hi, my name is Embry Burrus, and my big sister, Margaret is one of the funniest, coolest people I know. In fact, she is one of my most favorite people to hang out with. She loves to have fun, and is always ready for a new adventure – no matter what it is, Margaret’s up for it! She is also one of the most loving, kind and non-judgmental people I know, too. She shows me everyday what unconditional love truly is. She is the best sister anyone could hope for.

Oh, and by the way, she has Down syndrome.

That used to be the first thing I would tell people about Margaret, as if I needed to “temper” whatever I said about her with those words: She has Down syndrome.

But now, I realize that the fact that she has Down syndrome does not define her at all. People don’t like to meet Margaret and hang out with her because she is all of those things and she has Down syndrome; they like to meet her and hang out with her because she is all of those things, period.

What an awakening that has been for me—one of the many things I’ve learned from being Margaret’s sister.

I realized several years ago that there was a wonderful story in Margaret’s life, and in the journey that I have taken in being her sister, so I’ve written a book about her, and our now 90 year old mother. If you’d like to meet both of them, please visit my website .

I look forward to meeting everyone on this blog, and thank Terri for the opportunity to contribute my story!

No comments: